Thursday, May 6, 2010

Happy Trails

Are you interested in walking along the local paseos in your neighborhood? Do you prefer to hike in your hills? Or do you wish to drive your car to another location and walk through the locality? Do you have one, two, or three hours to spare during the week for pure exhilaration and enjoyment? If your answer is yes, then power walking may be for you and “Happy Trails”!

But, are you nervous that the endless paseo trails will lead you astray? Are you fearful that a search party will need to be sent out for you? If so, stay at home!

One of the greatest pleasures in my life is striding. Hiking as a couple, group or jaunting alone works well. Join a walking group that meets at specific locations and a planned program to accommodate the speed you desire. Or, take a brisk walk to meet a friend, buy groceries (great for a triceps/biceps workout) or shop in a department store which will provide built in rest stops. How about walking with your dog, especially if he is high energy like our hound?

I discovered walking in college. Thirty eight years after college, I have learned that I am neither the fastest nor the youngest walker in the universe. I have also realized that my final walking goal is racing against the clock (i.e., achieve the end by traveling at a fast pace, but by not having a heart attack).

As you have read, there is a partner for everyone including a walking colleague for your dog. Even if you are a "solo act," finding your “Happy Trails” is pleasurable. I have not purchased anything along the way except health and fun. I have been seriously into fitness since I turned thirty. If this is the ticket to a long life, I hope I am a winner.

by Roberta Mark Engel

No comments:

Post a Comment