Thursday, August 27, 2015

From Kilimanjaro to Greece

Susan from Los Angeles was tired of traveling to London and Paris on her way to Greece.  Why not go to Africa?  And this is her trip.

“I chose to join a Safari with German people who I had met previously.  I needed to meet with my Greek friends two weeks later so I had enough time to spend time with the Safari crew.  The farm for the Safari was at the foot of Kilimanjaro.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Kilimanjaro  The Safari employees were quite respectful even though I was the only woman.  The shower was quite retro with slats, a tent with water heated above.  There was a living room with dirt on the ground.  There were bedrooms with mattresses.  There was a coach and a couple of chairs.  The kitchen had a fine screen of mesh with a mess hall.  There was a cook who cooked great meals, Rodolfo.  When the safari began, most items were packed up and carried from stop to stop.  Each room had its own tent.  The cost was $45,000 for 6 weeks per person.  One thing was that there was no chocolate and cellular service was spotty.  And some of the African workers had spotty police records.  There was a generator which worked occasionally.” 

“After the Safari, I  went on to a small village in Greece.  I stayed with my friends.  We went out for meals, but we generally had water and electricity.  We even had chocolate and cellular service.”


There is a considerable unrest in Greece, butt there was running water and electricity.  There was a great similarity with Africa and Greece, the filth and the lack of niceties, but the Greek people were kind and gracious.  “I loved both continents.”

Roberta Mark Engel

No comments:

Post a Comment